Friday, June 01, 2007

Adding to the Things-To-Knit List

A conspiracy is afoot! I fear due to the combined efforts of Obsidian Kitten and Little Black Crow I will never leave the house again. You've heard tell of the vintage patterns and spinning fibers previously sent by those two--now Black Crow has struck again! At this rate I'll be knitting and/or spinning yarn for at least 27 hours out of the day 'til perhaps the end of time.


Looky here what arrived from Tasmania this past week, sans the chocolate that mysteriously disappeared soon after the box was opened. That stuff got feet, lemme tell ya. She did make sure she told me not to lick the soap, since it looks edible. Mmmm, handmade soap...

See, we got another one of her snazzy pincushions (the beads say RIP), some Lanscapes dye in Bloodwood (she knew I was completely out of that color), six balls of black Jo Sharp cotton, some red wool roving to go on my To-Spin List, a bar of coffin-shaped soap from www.alchemic-dragon.com, two disks from www.vintage-crochet-patterns.com and www.vintage-knitting-patterns.com, and two more vintage pattern books of gloves & hats. The mysterious rolled-up thing with the bat print fabric is a really cool knitting needle case she made, complete with a few pairs of funny old plastic needles she'd found and a pair of embroidery scissors. She says the bats match my last tattoo.

I've been curious about Naughty Needles but I always forgot to skim through it any time I was at the bookstore and the website didn't show me enough of the really cool patterns. My new favorite knitting book! So yeah, there are about seven or eight patterns to go on my already lengthy To-Do List. I'll be knitting the garterbelt first, of course. I can't have enough of those. I don't have any leather thong lying around to knit the flogger, though, but that could change. Disobey Madame at your peril!


See, she knew the Victorian mitts I'd made last fall out of the ever-vile Red Heart Luster-Sheen (Hey, it was a practice pair, OK!) weren't warm at all so she knitted me some very nice woolly mitts. I've been considering spinning up the light grey alpaca she sent in the last box and knitting another pair but now that I've got these I may use the alpaca for another project. Look in the upper right-hand corner and you'll spy a Disgruntled Beastie. See how I've shrunken him down to Tootsie Roll size. Couldn't shrink his voice, though. No sir.


I forgot to photograph the nice little roll of 1940s undies patterns she Xeroxed out of a book for me--they were being flattened under a stack of heavy books. The caption says "Two pieces to solve the underwear problem." So was there a shortage of knickers Australia during WW II? Those dandy French knickers on the right are on the To-Do List as well. I've got some very bright, very slinky red rayon that might do the trick...


Here's a very special hat picked out by Black Crow just for me! I am totally posting that pattern. I picture it in black with red flowers. It'll be perfect for when I stuff Toto in a basket and ride off on my bike. You know I've been a little cranky since Dorothy dropped that house on my sister.


Shhh, don't anyone mention that I'm packing up a really really special box to send her.