Sunday, June 11, 2006

Random Vintage Sewing Project

OK, so Blogger does love me after all. Bastards.

First picture--my absolute favorite 1950's blouse.

Pros--Great collar and some pretty snazzy darts in the front & back. Cotton so it's comfortable under a sweater. The armholes are the right size so there's no "free show" every time you put up an arm.

Cons--it's now too big, tain't got no sleeves, you have to iron it (bugger!), and the color is less than stellar.

I've worn it about a thousand times and I think I only paid like six bucks for it at a vintage clothes shop.


Joann's had a sale on brocades last year. I seem to hoard fabric for years before I can bring myself to cut it up. Perfect fabric must have a perfect pattern!!!

I bought enough of this color to make a blouse and a corset, whenever I get around to it. Of course it's black.

I drafted a 1950's style fitted blouse with cap sleeves and traced the collar from the original onto the pattern. I decided that my sewing machine was too cranky to do buttonholes in brocade fabric without eating a hole in it so I used black snaps.

Fits pretty well. I did decide that I can't stand to set in cap sleeves. I don't like basting and any kind of gathering by hand so setting in a sleeve is top on my list of stuff I hate hate hate. Not top on the list but definitely right behind American Idol, Fun Fur, and dill pickles.