Sunday, January 01, 2006

The Endless J & P Coats Project

Progress on the J & P Coats project. I've done the front and right side so I just have to do the back and finish the left side, put on the straps, crochet some trim. Fifteen more inches of crocheting to go. Ehhhh.

Once it's crocheted, then I can sew it onto some fabric, hem it, put on some thin bias tape for the drawstring thingy, and I'll be rockin' it like 1919!

I just realised I'll have to crochet a drawstring thingy too. Poop! There's a pattern I like that's four double crochets wide, however long you need the string so you can tie it into a bow, and crocheted roses or shamrocks sewed on either end.

I now have no skin on the finger I hold under the stitches when I jam the teeny hook in. Yes, it gets jammed into my finger as well as the crocheting. I always make a blood sacrifice for my work.

Creepy Tip #1: If you bleed on your needlework the enzymes in your own saliva will dissolve the blood. This'll only work for your blood, so no spitting on other folks' work.

The sides have extra motifs taken from the original design because I didn't want to have just 5" of blank filet, plus just plain filet gets damn dull. The bit all the way to the left is where it gets sewed together. It won't show under the arm. I've got vintage things where the crocheter put all the seams in the front, or sewed the straps on there so you get this weird ridge. Stuff like that drives me crazy ape bonkers.

The back is supposed to have that long point but that seemed a bit retarded to have that in the back too so I'm working it without the point. I made a copies of the pattern, cut them up, and shuffled the rose up a bit so it looks like it fits before I glued it down & recopied it. Yes, I could have done it on a computer but I didn't have one to use.